Saturday, October 07, 2006

Expected Value

I have decided after looking at my bank account and seeing the number of deposits I have made into Poker sites recently that something needs to change, I think in my own mind I was allowing my short term wins to overshadow the losses. I am not altogether to sure what makes a great No Limit player but I do know what makes a great Limit player and that is math. Limit Poker is more a of mechanical game and the understanding of the odds and probability, then being able to apply this information on every betting decision you make is the key to playing winning Limit Poker.

What I am looking for at the moment is a way of paying off my outstanding debts, building a bankroll and having enough confidence in my results to quit my day job, therefore I have made a decision to go back to learning Limit Poker, this way I will be able to say with a greater deal of accuracy when reviewing previous hands if the decision was +EV or -EV (expected value).

It seems to me a lot of the decisions made in No Limit Texas Hold em are more to do with feel of the game rather than outright math. Poker is a game of incomplete information and as far as I am concerned in No Limit that information is even more incomplete. Maybe at some point in the future once I am earning decent money playing Limit Hold em and I have a better feel for the game I can try my hand at No Limit once again but for now its time to take my head out of the sand except the facts, buckle down and learn the math behind the game.

No comments: