Saturday, September 16, 2006

Odd ramblings

Finished Harrington on Hold'em VOL1 today, before I start on Harrington on Hold'em VOL2 I plan to re-read VOL1 whilst taking notes as there is only so much information you can take in on a first reading.

I am currently thinking about re-evaluating my I plan to spend next week playing online Tournaments for money, I feel that I have a better understanding of the game than I ever, but I also think that a lot of the basic principles that Dan Harrington talks although I understand, I don't fully understand who to implement as yet. I feel these basic principles are the foundation of any good Poker Players game. I suppose the main area of my game that I feel is lacking at the moment are pot odds.

In the very beginning of his book Dan makes the comment:

There are a variety of mistakes one can make in Poker, but one of the most serious is to make a bet or a call which is not correct given the pot odds available to you, either because you haven't made the right deductions about your opponents cards, or because you have a generally correct idea about his cards, but you've ignored the pot odds entirely

In my opinion what separates the good players from the average players in No-Limit Hold em is the ability to accurately put your opponents on a certain range of hands compare this range of hands to your own, then manipulate the pot accordingly, and in order to do this you must be able to calculate outs and pot odds on the fly.

Although I am able to put my opponents on an accurate range of hands a lot of the time, I am still not comfortable calculating outs and pot odds on the fly and I feel that if I start playing in real Tournaments now then this area of my game could go neglected indefinitely, I think what we are talking about here is baby steps.

On a more interesting note a came across some Poker Videos on the net put together by an online player called TuffFish. The stuff on these videos is just pure gold here is the link to the first one, will post more later.

http://68.168.64.9/pokerhands/1st_video/1st_video_media/1st_video.wmv

No comments: